By now, you’ve absolutely seen security cam videos of individuals grabbing giant 12-foot skeletons from somebody’s entrance yard and shoving them into the again of their often a lot smaller automobile. Whereas it’s humorous to look at these thieves struggling to pry the legs and arms off the skeleton as his head rolls down the road, for the house owner who spent loads on that Halloween ornament, it’s something however comical.
Porch pirates are a year-round menace, however through the vacation season, when packages are arriving in droves, these crooks double their efforts to take what isn’t theirs from those that work arduous to purchase this stuff. Whereas you haven’t any management over what these unscrupulous criminals do with their free time, you have management over how one can obtain your deliveries with out fearing a porch pirate will seize it earlier than you do.
Putting in a safety digicam is a protected methodology of discovering out what’s happening in entrance of your private home, however thieves anticipate this and obscure their identities. So, safety cameras are nice to have however aren’t all the time efficient in stopping porch pirates from getting their dirty fingers in your packages.
Forestall Thieves From Making Off With Your Packages
1. Choose Up Your Order in Individual
Loads of shops supply ship-to-store supply choices and the choice of ordering on-line and choosing up your order in particular person. Take a look at the record of retailers offering in-store and curbside pickup and shops which have holiday pickup discounts, too.
Amazon releases its biggest-ever sale between Thanksgiving and Cyber Monday, as international Amazon clients buy a whole bunch of hundreds of thousands of merchandise, which basically means a whole bunch of hundreds of thousands of deliveries. However the big retailer has methods so that you can get your packages delivered safely and effectively — and these are a few of the easiest strategies.
Amazon Supply Choices
Amazon gives a number of methods to get your deliveries in person. As a bonus, you need to use these similar choices for returning your Amazon packages. These are the preferred Amazon supply choices:
- Amazon Locker Supply: Amazon Locker is a self-service kiosk the place you may decide up your Amazon packages, often inside supermarkets, comfort shops, banks, and different areas. Amazon gives the Locker option for apartments, too. It’s a safe approach of getting your orders with out worrying about porch pirates or snoopers across the holidays. Verify in your closest Hub Locker.
- Amazon Key In-Storage Supply: Maybe one of many best methods to get your orders, Amazon Key provides Amazon supply drivers entry to your storage with the MyQ system. Amazon drivers put deliveries proper in your storage.
2. Signal Up for Order Monitoring and Supply Updates
Protecting monitor of the supply timing of your order is a simple approach to thwart porch pirates. A number of shops supply the choice to obtain textual content or electronic mail updates for when your order ships and its anticipated supply time. And often, on the anticipated date of supply, you may monitor your order in real-time, too.
Verify for this selection if you’re prepared to take a look at, or generally it’ll seem instantly following the checkout course of. I do know that is when Greatest Purchase gives the choice. And should you simply can’t be dwelling when your package deal arrives, ask your neighbor to seize it for you and bake some cookies to say “thanks.”
3. Get Good Doorbell Alerts
For these with a safety digicam hooked up to their doorbell, you may get alerts when somebody is at your entrance door. If you happen to’re dwelling, that’s nice. However should you’re not, you may no less than know a package deal is in your doorstep. Simply bear in mind porch pirates have adopted alongside behind UPS and FedEx drivers, ready within the shadows to pounce on a supply.
4. Request a Signature Affirmation
Some deliveries robotically require a signature, like an Apple MacBook order from Greatest Purchase. UPS gives the choice if you try at particular retailers, generally with an additional price if the acquisition doesn’t robotically qualify. If you happen to’re not dwelling, UPS leaves a word with the following supply try or which UPS pickup location you may decide it up from. After three makes an attempt, they return the package deal to the sender.
Some USPS deliveries require a signature. If you happen to can’t be dwelling, use the USPS Electronic Signature Online, and USPS can drop off your Signature Required package deal in your mailbox or a most popular supply location.
5. Redirect Your Package deal Deliveries
These are the most effective methods of redirecting the supply of your packages:
- FedEx can deliver packages to your nearest Walmart, Walgreens, or FedEx location or choose Greenback Common and grocery retailer areas. They maintain your package deal for as much as seven days.
- Use UPS My Choice to reroute your package to a different handle or reschedule the supply. Some senders can use UPS Delivery Intercept to reschedule a supply, which could be value contacting the retailer the place you positioned your order.
- Reschedule a USPS supply totally free using the Redelivery Service.
6. Give Drivers Extra Supply Directions
Most supply companies supply the choice to depart further directions for the supply driver, however in my expertise, it’s not all the time a assure.
- UPS drivers can ship your packages to a neighbor at your request. For an approximate supply time of your UPS package deal, you may get a four-hour supply window with a UPS My Choice sign-up.
- USPS gives the choice to present your supply driver specific instructions in your deliveries by way of Informed Delivery.
- FedEx helps you to give particular directions to their drivers for the place to depart your package deal, just like the facet of your home or underneath or behind one thing, they usually’ll “honor your requests on each supply to your handle,” in keeping with the FedEx web site.
7. Put a Maintain on Package deal Deliveries
Go worry-free if you put package deal deliveries on maintain. It could take further time to get your order, nevertheless it’s definitely worth the peace of thoughts of realizing it’s protected and safe.
- You possibly can add a maintain to your UPS deliveries with UPS My Choice. They hold your packages at a UPS retailer for if you’re prepared to select them up, or UPS can ship them on a particular date.
- FedEx can maintain deliveries to your handle for as much as two weeks totally free, which you’ll schedule by way of a free FedEx Delivery Manager account.
- Use the Hold for PickUp option at USPS to select up your package deal at your native Publish Workplace.
What To Do if Your Packages Are Stolen
Even should you’ve taken each humanly attainable precaution to maintain your deliveries protected from thieves, the place there’s a will, there’s a approach — and porch pirates have numerous will.
Amazon gives methods to maintain monitor of your deliveries. You possibly can join shipment and delivery updates, track the delivery for many orders, and discover out in case your order is running late.
Amazon supply drivers take photos of the packages they go away in your porch. But when they mark your Amazon order “as delivered” and it’s not there, contact Amazon. I’ve had loads of Amazon in-garage packages marked as delivered solely to have them really present up the following day — no clue why.
My recommendation with Amazon: wait till the following day. Based mostly on private expertise, you’ll doubtless have to attend anyway, however Amazon will virtually all the time ship a alternative totally free.
FedEx packages include monitoring data, making it simpler to search out your package deal. You can too get an image of when your supply arrives by way of the FedEx Supply Supervisor.
Within the occasion you may’t discover your package deal standing, or it’s marked as delivered, you may file a FedEx claim for lacking packages by way of the FedEx FAQ Hub. You possibly can ﬁle a declare inside 60 calendar days from the cargo date and 21 calendar days for worldwide packages.
UPS helps you to file a claim online through their Declare Dashboard inside 60 days of the scheduled supply for packages which are misplaced or broken.
You possibly can’t submit a declare if the retailer doesn’t permit recipients or third events to start the declare course of. These embrace Amazon, Dell, Apple, Walmart, and Macy’s. UPS processing can take between eight to fifteen enterprise days, however generally much less. Contact UPS Buyer Service at 1-800-742-5877.
The USPS has advice for retaining your mail protected and what to do when you have packages stolen out of your mailbox. One tip is to enroll in free with the Informed Delivery option, the place you may see photos of your upcoming mail deliveries. Or, schedule electronic mail reminder notifications for necessary items of mail and activate package deal monitoring to obtain the standing through textual content and/or electronic mail.
You possibly can report stolen or lacking packages to 877-876-2455 or make a report on their website.
The submit Porch Pirates Suck! So, Here’s How To Protect Your Holiday Deliveries appeared first on The Real Deal by RetailMeNot.